Friday, October 26, 2012

Something Meaningful In Your <3 <3 <3 Life

Zach Galifianakis Live @ the purple onion embodies everything I believe is funny, good performance  and good art. Comedy is universally considered one of the lowest forms of entertainment, but why? Because people like Ron White exist. Jokes that play on nothing and vulgarity are stand up comedy. From the first minute Zach Galifianakis steps on stage, minutes late because he didn't know when the show started, it is him against the audience. He isn't trying to humor them, but rather himself. His word play, self-righteousness, and nonconformity within the structure of a stand up routine, make a most entertaining performance  I was talking to a gurl who said after five minutes of it she turned it off because it was so hard to watch. I was shocked because I hadn't even noticed that his performance could make someone uncomfortable. It also might have been that every time I watch it, I've had my hands on my face crying with laughter. Galifianakis gives artfulness to comedy and can make any day for me a good one. Thank you my bearded friend, I'm sorry the hangover destroyed your life (which in fact is true, from the few interviews he had been forced to give).

XoXo
Matt



"If you love Barry Manilow, you're gonna love the Insane Clown Posse. Love them. They're exactly... well, they're not exactly alike, but they're a little bit alike." 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you. Zach Galifianakis is a comical genius and was the breakout star of The Hangover, despite what Bradley Cooper might say. Unlike other comedians, he doesn't resort to vulgar or lewd humor to gain laughs. It's his delivery that makes him hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange how comedy is perceived as the lowest form of entertainment. I always thought that comedy is a higher form of intelligence. The comedian and the listener both have to have a higher level of wit and a sense of relevance to understand the message.

    You never hear someone say, "Hey you, wanna hear something that'll make you really really sad?" Of course not! You usually hear a funny joke being exchanged between two people at least once a day. Laughter is always within sight or earshot.

    It's sad that comedy doesn't have a bigger influence in people's lives.

    ReplyDelete